Ottawa trades Kelly to Bruins for pick
The Ottawa Senators appear as though they have not yet finished making moves as they announced Tuesday night that they have shipped forward Chris Kelly to the Boston Bruins for a second round draft pick in the upcoming 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
The 30-year old, Toronto native did not score in Tuesdays 4-3 shootout loss to the New York Islanders as he was still with the Ottawa Senators. But, he has 12 goals and 11 assists in 57 games this season.
Kelly has one year remaining on a four-year deal worth 8.5 million, which he signed prior to the 2008-09 season. He will make 2 million next season, after which he will be an unrestricted free agent.
No doubt, a smart trade by the Bruins as Kelly is a strong two-way player, who can produce, and help out on the penalty kill. The move is also important for the Bruins as the team will be without Marc Savard for the rest of the season with a concussion. Kelly is also a very versatile player which was a main factor in this deal.
“The fact that Chris can play the wing is helpful too,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told reporters Tuesday night. “We felt we had to make a move.”
“We have a lot of uncertainty with Marc Savard.”
Senators general manager Bryan Murray talked about how hard it was to trade away Kelly in a press conference Tuesday night.
“I just traded one of the good guys and most respected players on this hockey team,” Murray said.
Kelly was drafted by the Senators in the 3rd round (94th overall) in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. His best statistical season in Ottawa was 2006-07, when he had 15 goals and 23 assists with a plus minor rating of +28.
The Senators have now traded away two main forwards in their line up, after they traded away Mike Fisher earlier in the week, but Murray made it clear that while will be more deals to follow, he disagreed with the thought that the Senators were completely clearing house.
“I’m trying to trade some other people or move some other people but it’s certainly not a house cleaning by any means.”
As for Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli when asked about other possible moves, he admitted that he is also looking for a defencemen, with Tomas Kaberle’s name swirling. Something interesting to note as Kaberle said Tuesday if he were to waive his NTC, he would for Boston.