Big Bad Bruins Strike Again: Habs Pacioretty Leaves Game on Stretcher

There are times in the sport of hockey where the actual game – you know, the one where the goal it to put the puck in the net more times than your opponent – takes a backseat to certain other things. The rough stuff, if you will.

It happened a month ago, nearly to the day, in a game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins at TD Banknorth Garden, and as a result, it was bound to happen yet again on Tuesday night in the Bell Centre, as the two teams met for the rematch.

On that cold Wednesday night on February 9th of last month, a frustrated Bruins team that went up by two goals early in the first period would see that seemingly decisive dwindle to a 2-2 tie game early in the second period. They would score a third goal, but the Canadiens would counter yet again, unwilling to back down where it counts, on the scoreboard. Somehow, the Bruins would manage to score another two goals for a 5-3 lead, and they wouldn’t let this one slip them by yet again. Knowing that the Canadiens were playing with fire in their bellies despite being outmatched in this particular match, they decided to step away from the actual purpose of playing hockey – as described above – and turn to the rough stuff in order to intimidate an infamously smaller team and beat them into submission.

For what reason exactly? It’s hard to really pinpoint. Maybe they felt inferior, despite being a bigger team physically. Maybe they were upset that the Canadiens have had their number for the most part for years and are unable to beat them, or more importantly in this case, put them away. Maybe, as mentioned, they didn’t think they could beat them by simply playing hockey, and felt as if they needed to turn the game into something more brutal. Maybe it’s just embedded in their brains thanks to decades-worth of physical hockey and other Bruins teams that often put physicality and intimidation ahead of the game.

Or maybe, just like a cat pissing all over your shoes, the Bruins were simply marking their territory.

Whatever the reason was, the Bruins decided to make that particular match about something other than winning a game and accumulating two points, and it seemed as if the message was sent.

Now, nearly a month later, EVERYONE was waiting in anticipation for these two teams to face off again. Everyone was waiting to see how they would react to the result of the last game, an 8-6 Bruins “victory”, a game in which nearly 200 penalty minutes were handed out and both benches were pretty much cleared when it was all said and done.

And everyone had their theories. There were those that wished the Canadiens would call up all their goons and respond to the Bruins the only way they would understand, with fisticuffs. There were others, myself included, that believed that it wasn’t in the Canadiens’ best interest to turn yet another game into a slugfest, nor was it in the character of their coach, Jacques Martin, or even their players.

And for the most part, it seemed as if I was right. The Canadiens would dictate the flow of the game, they would brush off the non-sense of a de-evolved group of savages, that even tried to stir the shitpot early in the game when Johnny Boychuk would seemingly try to stand up PK Subban. The Canadiens “tough guy”, Ryan White, would have nothing of it, and a great fight, a hockey fight.

For nearly two periods following this incident, we would actually see a great hockey game from the Habs perspective. The Canadiens would go up by four goals, and everything was seemingly going great. And we were all feeling very good about it. Hell, I was cracking Charlie Sheen jokes and predetermining the title of this blog.

But any Habs fan that knows this rivalry had to know that something was coming. When the Bruins are losing by four goals, they don’t play hard and try to come back, or just play to finish the game and move on to the next. No, when the Bruins lose, especially to their biggest rival, the ONLY thing they know how to do is respond by sending their message.

So with the score 4-0 in the favour of the Canadiens, with the game seemingly over, with Habs fans happy and with Lars Eller playing the game of his young career, having scored the Habs first two goals, the Bruins would take everything away from them, and us, and their captain, Zdeno Chara, would go ahead and do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx2AxYxgqRA

After a battle for the puck, with both players skating hard, Zdeno Chara would first hit Pacioretty along the benches, then throw an elbow, and to top it all off, as Pacioretty’s face was almost certain to meet the turnbuckle at full speed, Chara would give him a shove, at full force, to ensure that Pacioretty would certainly come out of this with a concussion.

Pacioretty would not move for so long that the teams would be sent to their dressing rooms with 16 seconds remaining on the clock for the period. For the second time in just over a month, Pacioretty would leave an NHL arena on a stretcher and would spend the night in a hospital.

It was a heinous act, a vile act that made me and many other fans of this game sick to their stomachs. This wasn’t a fight, it wasn’t a scrum, and it wasn’t about hockey. It was about sending a message, it was about doing things the way the baboons would in the animal kingdom, and in Chara’s particular case, it was revenge.

To all of the people trying their hardest to defend the incident, I give you Exhibit A. It’s early January, the Canadiens are rebounding from a bad month in December and have started things well with somewhat of a win streak in the opening days of 2011. The Canadiens and Bruins are playing a tight game, it’s 2-2 in overtime, and Pacioretty streaks into the Bruins zone through traffic to score the game winning OT goal. Heading to the boards to celebrate, he finds a behemoth of an animal standing in front of him, and gives him a slight tap in the back to push him out of the way. Chara seemingly takes major offense to this, and starts a scrum two end an otherwise competitive game. And this shouldn’t surprise you, three games in a row now, the Bruins have proven that this is what they do.

Chara doesn’t really get his shot for revenge the next game, as it’s basically a circus. Fast-forward to tonight. Chara has him lined up. You can’t tell me that all he saw was red, and I don’t mean the color of the Canadiens’ uniform, or the jerseys in the crowd. This is his opportunity for revenge, this is his opportunity to send a message, and to take out the player that hurt his feelings two months prior with a light tap to his back to simply get him out of his way. And if you seriously want to deny this, scroll a few paragraphs above and watch the video again. I can’t be the only one who, while watching the video for the 50th time in slow motion, saw that push and immediately thought of that incident.

I’m not trying to say here that Chara was purposely trying to make Pacioretty eat a face-full of turnbuckle. He may be an animal with little to no intelligence, but I don’t think that he’s malicious like that (and I’m trying really hard to be reasonable here). But you can’t tell me that the situation and the circumstances stopped him either.

Pacioretty was standing in front of the bench, where there’s no glass. A small section of about 4 or 5 feet of glass was coming up, and there was no way they were going to make it. You can’t tell me that Chara, a professional, nay, an ELITE player that will once again be in strong contention for the Norris trophy this season, didn’t know where he was, didn’t see the turnbuckle and didn’t know at least in part what he was doing. When you consider all of the above, their history, the shove, and the fact that he’s the leader of a team that’s represented the very nature of the brutality of this sport, there’s absolutely no unbiased way you can say that there wasn’t at least a glimmer of intent on the part of the Slovak.

Chara would go on to say all the right things in his post-game interview. “That wasn’t my intention... It’s very unfortunate ... It’s not my style to hurt somebody ... In that situation everything is happening fast.” Believe what you want, there really isn’t anything here that shouldn’t have been expected from the player following the incident. But to claim it’s not his style to hurt people, well, someone needs to watch more tapes of himself.

It’s not Chara’s fault he’s a freak of nature, that he’s bigger than everyone else and it sometimes leads to things like this, but the evidence is simply stacking up against him on this one. As if we really have to, let’s list the obvious offenses on this one:

1) Interference? Check
2) Elbowing? Check
3) Roughing? Check
4) Hit to the head? Check
5) Intent to injure? Double Check

This is not something that the league can simply pass over. Chara needs to have a hearing, and he needs to take a break. It was a heinous, suspendable action, and I will PRAY that for once, Colin Campbell and his friends will get one right. In vain, of course, but I have to at least try.

In all likelihood, Chara will escape with a game or two in the pressbox, while Pacioretty spends the night and the next day in the hospital, and a lot longer out of the line-up with at least a mild concussion. The league won’t suspend a captain and a likely Norris candidate that’s a big part of a team fighting for a division title and looking to make a long playoff run.

Hit from behind or not, when people talk about someone dying on the ice as a result of a questionable hit, this is it. This is the stuff that needs to be taken out of the game, and these are the types of players that cause these incidents.

And it’s truly a shame that instead of talking about an otherwise great game for the Canadiens, and a performance that would have had me gloating to high-hell in this post game, we have to talk about the goon that took out Max Pacioretty and sent him to the hospital.

We have to talk about Milan Lucic actually having the balls to go after Benoit Pouliot in the closing minutes of the game for no reason other than legally beating the shit out of David Krejci in the game where the Bruins otherwise picked on a bunch of players generally smaller than them. Because that’s the kind of classy person Milan Lucic is. And oh ya, let’s not forget that it was Lucic who was whining to the media before the game that the Habs are the ones always starting scrums and instigating fights. Because, you know, he didn’t go on to do exactly what he said only the Habs do hours after his comments.

But I digress.

Tonight’s incident was one of the worst and most disgusting things I’ve ever seen in the sport of hockey. I’m not an overtly violent person, but after seeing that, and watching it another 100 times for the sake of this article, I have to admit that I wanted blood. Unfortunately, the Canadiens don’t have the right coach for that sort of thing, and we had a relatively tame third period following the incident, and in all likelihood, it was for the better. I already feel extremely disenchanted with the game that I should love right now. If this crime goes unpunished by the league, I don’t think I’ll even know what to say anymore. And it’s bad enough that I have to spend the hours after a win writing about how much of a Neanderthal Zdeno Chara is, the fact that I had to spend part of it arguing with Bruins fans who actually saw absolutely nothing wrong with this, and somehow managed to turn this back on the Habs in several warped ways, well, I don’t even know what else to say about that.

As a quick update on Pacioretty, early word is that the CAT scan revealed no bleeding in his brain, which means that the concussion likely isn’t as bad as it could have been. Pacioretty will be out of the line-up at least 7 days, as per league policy, but in all likelihood he will be out a lot longer.

The Canadiens and Bruins will face off yet again on March 24th in Boston, and Lord only knows how the Bruins will manage to top this one...

Before that, however, the Canadiens will travel to St. Louis for a Thursday night game against the Blues, and it’s likely that we will see another highly anticipated match-up, this time in goal between Carey Price and former Hab Jaroslav Halak.

In the meantime, leave your thoughts on the hit in the comments below and follow me on twitter for more random outbursts about the baboons from Beantown.

Prax

46 Comments

Gary_McMahon's picture

Good read. I'll admit this will be hard to decide on a suspension and I am a die hard Habs fan. The hit was late, it was a push (two handed), it was late in a game that was basically out of reach. There could be motive. But at the end of the day, I think he gets ZERO games. Which sucks! The NHL will say there was NO intent.

George Prax's picture

I think they give him 1-2 games just for the same of giving 1-2 games but I otherwise agree. The league is going to let this slide with a slap on the wrist. It's so obviously intent to, they have history and the hit just looked like he meant it. I've shown the hit to a few people who don't follow the sport and they all agree that this was malicious.

Thanks for reading, nice to see another HBer over here Tongue

Gary_McMahon's picture

After reading other material, I agree maybe 1-2 games. As for another HB'er, lol. I follow you on twitter (even if I send you too many tweets that you are not responding to, sorry, lol), love reading all Habs material.

George Prax's picture

Update from Renaud Lavoie: "Severe concussion for Max Pacioretty. Neck injury. Possible fracture but that's not confirm yet."

And it likely won't affect chara's suspension at all...

Kyle Andrew Busch's picture

It's Chara, he won the Norris Trophy. NHL All Star. Bruins Captain. He isn't going to get anything and it's all because of bias. I don't agree with it but I believe he'll get 1-2 games max. He deserves 10+

George Prax's picture

Well his hearing is over the phone (with Mike Murphy - Campbell recuses himself because of his son but who are we kidding... doesn't make a difference)., implying a maximum 5 game suspension. it will likely be a slap on the wrist, 1-2 games just to "appease" the fans.

It's really unfortunate... I really wish the league would have the balls to throw the banhammer on this guy.

Jason Pietroniro's picture

LOL @ Aldred RE:Heater.

Sad day today. Reminds me of the day after the P. Roy/Red Wings game. Honestly, Chara is one of my favorite players in the NHL. I just can't give him the benefit of the doubt of this one. I don't think he'll get what he deserves, but I think Chara is a good guy deep down. He'll hopefully call Pac.

For a guy his size, I gotta give him credit ( not here though) because I've seen him let up on plenty of players in the past. Seems like he knows he's huge and considers the smaller guys.

George Prax's picture

If you can look at this picture and tell me that there at least wasn't some sort of intent, you don't know what you're talking about. Brutal.

empireamodeo's picture

He doesn't deserve a 10 plus game suspension. He will get a couple games and that is what he deserves. .There was no elbow. Yes he interfered and ran him into the turn buckle but you think this is a bad as the Matt Cooke hity from behind into the boards, the Gillies incident on Tangradi, Niedemeyer two handing Worrel in the head? Chara definitley interefered and turnbuckled him but how many times have we seen guys get turnbuckled. If Max had got up there wouldn't be this hooplah about throwing the book at Chara. You Habs fans need to relax...(I am not a fan of either team BTW)...there are way more malicous, dirty cheap shots in the league. Its not his fault he is freakin huge.

And Heater has a violent history because he bought a crazy sports car and drove it too fast? No one here was young and drove like an ass? Difference is he could afford a car that is fast as hell. I think calling him violent because of that is very a lame attempt at humour.

empireamodeo's picture

This comment has been deleted.

George Prax's picture
empireamodeo wrote:

good pic.....no elbow but definitely tried to "rub him out"....

Maybe no elbow, but that still changes nothing in my opinion. Shoving a guy's face into the stanchion is just as bad or worse than an elbow. And if you knew the history between these two players it would be obvious to you as it is to us that there was an intent to injure, even if he didn't mean to throw his face into the stanchion. He still didn't let up when he shoved his face into it.

It's not his fault he's huge, but that's irrelevant. When you rear end someone with your car, it may not be your intention to hurt the guy in the car in front of you, but as a driver you still take responsibility of the vehicle you're driving and you'r expected to know your distances, know where you are on the road and avoid these types of incidents. By the same token, Chara is supposed to know his body, he's supposed to know where everything is on the ice. He's not just any NHL player, he's an elite player,a captain, a Norris winner at the peak of his career who's been hititng people violently for years. Whether he intended to do that or not he's supposed to know where he is and where he's hitting people, and in this case, he slipped up. It may not be someone's intention to hit someone in the head and give them a concussion but they still need to take responsibility for their actions.

On top of that, it's clear that Chara knew what he was doing, and the shove at the end (put up against Pacioretty's shove two games ago) is clear evidence of that. The guy even blamed Pacioretty in his interview last night. It's sickening and this shit needs to be taken out of the game.

Instead of doing that, however, we spend hours trying to find every little reason NOT to bring down the hammer on these incidents, and THAT's the problem with this stuff.

There's no way you can tell me that after everything that's happened between these two teams, while the Habs are leading a game 4-0 (and with everything that happened in the dying minutes of the game afterwards) that theere was no intent.

Glen Miller's picture
George Prax wrote:
empireamodeo wrote:

good pic.....no elbow but definitely tried to "rub him out"....

Maybe no elbow, but that still changes nothing in my opinion. Shoving a guy's face into the stanchion is just as bad or worse than an elbow. And if you knew the history between these two players it would be obvious to you as it is to us that there was an intent to injure, even if he didn't mean to throw his face into the stanchion. He still didn't let up when he shoved his face into it.

It's not his fault he's huge, but that's irrelevant. When you rear end someone with your car, it may not be your intention to hurt the guy in the car in front of you, but as a driver you still take responsibility of the vehicle you're driving and you'r expected to know your distances, know where you are on the road and avoid these types of incidents. By the same token, Chara is supposed to know his body, he's supposed to know where everything is on the ice. He's not just any NHL player, he's an elite player,a captain, a Norris winner at the peak of his career who's been hititng people violently for years. Whether he intended to do that or not he's supposed to know where he is and where he's hitting people, and in this case, he slipped up. It may not be someone's intention to hit someone in the head and give them a concussion but they still need to take responsibility for their actions.

On top of that, it's clear that Chara knew what he was doing, and the shove at the end (put up against Pacioretty's shove two games ago) is clear evidence of that. The guy even blamed Pacioretty in his interview last night. It's sickening and this shit needs to be taken out of the game.

Instead of doing that, however, we spend hours trying to find every little reason NOT to bring down the hammer on these incidents, and THAT's the problem with this stuff.

There's no way you can tell me that after everything that's happened between these two teams, while the Habs are leading a game 4-0 (and with everything that happened in the dying minutes of the game afterwards) that theere was no intent.

Wow, what exactly did he say in the post game interview?

empireamodeo's picture

I am not saying it wasnt a D-bag move. I completely agree (and I am familiar with their personal rivalry...I am not a Habs fan but a fan of the NHL and I watch a lot of hockey) that he tried to ride him into the partition. I also designed hockey rinks for years when I was an engineer and I know that they have no give what so ever coming from the side. I understand it was dirty...I am not argueing that. I am arguing the fact that he should get 10+ games. A couple games that is all. Chara does NOT have a violent history no matter what you say. If he was violent there would be a wake of destruction in his path. He is a monster who at times definitly lets up on people. Not this time but I think its hard to argue he is a "goon".

George Prax's picture
empireamodeo wrote:

I am not saying it wasnt a D-bag move. I completely agree (and I am familiar with their personal rivalry...I am not a Habs fan but a fan of the NHL and I watch a lot of hockey) that he tried to ride him into the partition. I also designed hockey rinks for years when I was an engineer and I know that they have no give what so ever coming from the side. I understand it was dirty...I am not argueing that. I am arguing the fact that he should get 10+ games. A couple games that is all. Chara does NOT have a violent history no matter what you say. If he was violent there would be a wake of destruction in his path. He is a monster who at times definitly lets up on people. Not this time but I think its hard to argue he is a "goon".

I disagree, Chara is definitely a violent player. That doesn't mean he gets suspended all the time, but you can't tell me the guy doesn't have a mean streak, or that he doesn't see red every once in a while. He has to let up because of his size, but he can also devastate people and he's shown that often.

And suspending him 10+ game isn't solely because of the hit itself, but think about it. Two games ago, the game ends in a bad scrum after the Pacioretty shoving incident. Last game, the whole thing is a mess with 187 penalty minutes. Last night, Chara puts Pacioretty in the hospital.

Three games in a row, the league's done nothing, and three games in a row the players have had to police themselves. A shoving match in the first game is nothing serious, and everyone more or less enjoyed the brawl last month because that kind of stuff just has to happen sometimes. But the league did nothing in either case, and in each instance it escalated. And I can't even imagine what would be next, especially if a couple of Habs decide they want revenge, especially after Lucic was gooning it up at the end of the game. It's only going to get worse, and unless the NHL gets serious about quelling this rivalry we might be in for something a lot worse than what happened last night.

Moreover, like I said, Chara has to be responsible for his body and his surroundings in this case, whether or not there was clear intent.

George Prax's picture

Fractured vertebrae for Pacioretty. I will post more this afternoon when we know the outcome of the hearing and more if possible on Pacioretty's status.

Glen Miller's picture

I've watched the replay a few times now and the angle I had wasn't great. I still don't think he purposely meant to drive his head into the stanchion. He definitely wanted to take him hard into the boards and I have no doubt he knew exactly who it was. He was looking for a little pay back. This is a tough one. They always use the word, "intent." But that doesn't stand up here. His intent clearly wasn't to cause a concussion or fractured vertebrae, but he did do something illegal which resulted in an injury.

I was reading Ken Campbell on THN and while I generally think he's a pansy and wants to remove most types of physical play from the game I have to say I agreed with an analogy he made. If you run a stop sign and get caught it's a ticket and fine of a few hundred bucks. If you do that but hit a pedestrian killing him it now becomes manslaughter and is punishable with lengthy prison time.

I don't even know how long the suspension should be. At first I thought 3 or 4 games but now I've seen different angles and heard the results to the player I don't know if that's enough. It isn't in the realm of what Gillies did to Tangradi and that was jut 9 games so maybe this one gets 5. I just don't know.

George Prax's picture

""We were racing for the puck and battling for position," Chara said following the game. "As the puck went by, obviously I was riding him out and it was very unfortunate that at the same time when I pushed him a little bit, he kind of leaned and jumped a little bit and just hit the glass extension.

"Obviously it wasn't my intention to push him into the partition. Things happen fast. That's not my style. I play hard, physical, but I never try to hurt someone. I hope he's OK."

He also said that Patches "leaned" and "jumped" into the hit, implying what happened to him was his fault.

George Prax's picture

No suspension or fine will be handed down to Chara, according to various sources. I'm sick to my stomach.

Glen Miller's picture
George Prax wrote:

No suspension or fine will be handed down to Chara, according to various sources. I'm sick to my stomach.

The thing that finally convinced me he needed a suspension was his left arm off the stick and pushing him up high. That's where the play could have and did turn dangerous.

I understand Murphy's position of pointing out Chara has never been subject to supplemental discipline in his 13 years. Still, I truly believe the act was dangerous and it resulted in tremendous injury to Pacioretty. Needed to be punished; disappointed it wasn't.

As far as Chara's post game comments go I don't believe he was "blaming" Pacioretty as much as he was trying to deflect blame from himself. Considering the timing of the comments and the emotion of the moment he was probably in damage control.

Gary_McMahon's picture

One of those times I hate to say "I told you so"

Glen Miller's picture
Micheal Aldred wrote:

@Glen Miller:

But that's exactly why Chara NEEDED to be punished here. He's never disciplined, and next time something happens they can say the same thing "he's not a repeat offender because he he's never been suspended before" and then he gets away with more. I'm sick of the league pulling this shit. If someone did something wrong, just punish him, and if it's Matt Cooke, make the punishment be he must acquire aids.

The comment made sense at first but after further thought it doesn't. The fact he's never been disciplined before should play no part in the severity of the act. He made a careless play, a play that would (or at least should) have been an interference penalty. The play resulted in an injury. What if it had been a punch to the face? The type of play that usually warrants a 2 minute minor for roughing. What if that had caused a concussion? Would that have warranted a suspension. The more I read and watch the replay I think he needed to be suspended. I go back to the free hand following through with the hit. The hit was high; maybe shoulder level or even head level. Hit to the upper part of the body resulting in injury. Come on NHL.

empireamodeo's picture

The severity of an injury should not play a part in any disciplinary action either. It is very unfortunate that he is hurt so badly but wanting Chara's head on a platter is going to far. I dont like the argument about how Chara knew where he was and "it happened so fast" doesnt apply. Maybe if Max was thinking about where he was then he would have gotten his arms up and not hit the partition teeth first. Before the Habs fans jump down my throat I stress I am not defending Charas actions but i think the severity of the injury is efecting the emotions of Habs nation. What if Max had gotten up and fought Chara and then subsequently fell during the fight and hit his head on the ice causing a head injury? Chara was obviously trying to hurt him because they were fighting but is the head smashing the ice not just a very unfortunate injury just like this? Does that deserve suspension? Lots players get run into the turnbuckle and until its a rule in the rulebook I dont see why because he is hurt that Chara should be hung...

Glen Miller's picture
empireamodeo wrote:

The severity of an injury should not play a part in any disciplinary action either. It is very unfortunate that he is hurt so badly but wanting Chara's head on a platter is going to far. I dont like the argument about how Chara knew where he was and "it happened so fast" doesnt apply. Maybe if Max was thinking about where he was then he would have gotten his arms up and not hit the partition teeth first. Before the Habs fans jump down my throat I stress I am not defending Charas actions but i think the severity of the injury is efecting the emotions of Habs nation. What if Max had gotten up and fought Chara and then subsequently fell during the fight and hit his head on the ice causing a head injury? Chara was obviously trying to hurt him because they were fighting but is the head smashing the ice not just a very unfortunate injury just like this? Does that deserve suspension? Lots players get run into the turnbuckle and until its a rule in the rulebook I dont see why because he is hurt that Chara should be hung...

I'm no Canadiens fan. In fact they are one of the 3 teams I hate most. However I don't like the fact Chara used his free hand to push the upper body/head of Pacioretty harder into the boards (not the stanchion). Injury was the result. It's similar to high sticking. If a player is hit by an opponent and as he's falling to the ice but his stick comes up and catches the opponent, the player is penalized with the length determined by whether the opponent was injured. No intent on the part of the player to hit the opponent with his stick but still he is penalized.

Yes, that example is different than what happened here but not by much. Chara committed an interference penalty and an injury resulted. He did target the upper part of Pacioretty's body. I'm not saying he deserved 10 games but even a 2 or 3 game suspension might give other players cause to think next time someone else is in a similar situation. Intent can't be the only criteria when determining whether a player deserves to be disciplined.

George Prax's picture
empireamodeo wrote:

The severity of an injury should not play a part in any disciplinary action either. It is very unfortunate that he is hurt so badly but wanting Chara's head on a platter is going to far. I dont like the argument about how Chara knew where he was and "it happened so fast" doesnt apply. Maybe if Max was thinking about where he was then he would have gotten his arms up and not hit the partition teeth first. Before the Habs fans jump down my throat I stress I am not defending Charas actions but i think the severity of the injury is efecting the emotions of Habs nation. What if Max had gotten up and fought Chara and then subsequently fell during the fight and hit his head on the ice causing a head injury? Chara was obviously trying to hurt him because they were fighting but is the head smashing the ice not just a very unfortunate injury just like this? Does that deserve suspension? Lots players get run into the turnbuckle and until its a rule in the rulebook I dont see why because he is hurt that Chara should be hung...

The severity of the player's injury is one way to gauge how vicious a hit is. A player doesn't just break his neck on a hockey hit. That never happens. There's a clear level of intent here and that's made obvious by the history between the two players. Chara didn't intend to kill Pacioretty, but there was definitely intent to injure. I honestly cannot understand why a lot of people don't see this.

Cinerichabs88's picture
George Prax wrote:
empireamodeo wrote:

The severity of an injury should not play a part in any disciplinary action either. It is very unfortunate that he is hurt so badly but wanting Chara's head on a platter is going to far. I dont like the argument about how Chara knew where he was and "it happened so fast" doesnt apply. Maybe if Max was thinking about where he was then he would have gotten his arms up and not hit the partition teeth first. Before the Habs fans jump down my throat I stress I am not defending Charas actions but i think the severity of the injury is efecting the emotions of Habs nation. What if Max had gotten up and fought Chara and then subsequently fell during the fight and hit his head on the ice causing a head injury? Chara was obviously trying to hurt him because they were fighting but is the head smashing the ice not just a very unfortunate injury just like this? Does that deserve suspension? Lots players get run into the turnbuckle and until its a rule in the rulebook I dont see why because he is hurt that Chara should be hung...

The severity of the player's injury is one way to gauge how vicious a hit is. A player doesn't just break his neck on a hockey hit. That never happens. There's a clear level of intent here and that's made obvious by the history between the two players. Chara didn't intend to kill Pacioretty, but there was definitely intent to injure. I honestly cannot understand why a lot of people don't see this.

there was a hit on a certain Brian Savage from Ian Laperrier that fractured and dislodged two vertabrea on the open ice hit. although it has happened Prax is right it's very, very rare it does. he should have been suspended no questions asked. Sad

Cinerichabs88's picture

what really hurts the most is that no matter how much the NHL deni's it, collin campbell influenced murphy's call on the play, he knows that his sons team is in first and considered a cup contender. they loose chara and the first place is most likely the habs for thew rest of the season. it was undoubtedly premedatated, and it is with my sincere hate for the bruins that the habs call up who ever from hamilton next game in boston and let the dogs of hell ravage the bruins. you take out seguin, horton and chara. bulldose the net and the most important thing you do is make sure you rip Campbell's son to shreds. give your key players some rest that night and torcher the bruins at home. you ram the golie be it rask or thomas you attack them like a lion attacks the neck of its victim. i backed up the NHL many times saying that it is the same for all teams, but today i stand here saying what is trully on my heart, this league should be reformed and ramsacked by smarter people. it's a joke we will never reach the same status as the NFL or NBA till collin campbell and his ponnes and gary betma n are still in place.

i just wish that Max Pacioretty's career is not compromised for this and that he makes a speedy recovery. if not, this will cast a shadow over what dignity the NHL has left. My best wishes goes to max and his family!

Cinerichabs88's picture

are you a bruins fan empireamodeo or for that matter a habs fan? sounds like no matter where this goes your quite happy that a key piece to a team you might hate is injured, and if thats the case you are definatly immoral. the mere fact that the player is a rookie and only 22 years of age and facing life altering complications, should alter a moral persons opinion. it goes beyond that of hockey now he pushed his head into an inch thick piece of tempered glass skating at 30 KM/h he was beat you, you don't stop the play when the puck is more than 15 feet away. you back check not crush a kids brains.

empireamodeo's picture
Cinerichabs88 wrote:

are you a bruins fan empireamodeo or for that matter a habs fan? sounds like no matter where this goes your quite happy that a key piece to a team you might hate is injured, and if thats the case you are definatly immoral. the mere fact that the player is a rookie and only 22 years of age and facing life altering complications, should alter a moral persons opinion. it goes beyond that of hockey now he pushed his head into an inch thick piece of tempered glass skating at 30 KM/h he was beat you, you don't stop the play when the puck is more than 15 feet away. you back check not crush a kids brains.

i am not a fan of either team. i said that before in a post. I also said before that I thought Chara deserved a suspension of a couple games. Suggesting I am immoral...lol. I am not the one that thought Heater was violent because he killed his best friend in a car crash. You guys are just gang banging me because I dont think this situation is as disaterous as most of you do. Of course i dont like seeing people hurt, and it doesnt matter if he is 22 or 122, no one deserves to be hurt like that but hockey is a hard fast game and people get hurt. I do think Chara ran him into the partition and it was a dangerous play that deserved a suspension of a couple games. The league should have used this as a precedent. The fact he is a young player with talent that got hurt does not change that in my mind. If players were suspended as long as players were hurt or it depended on injury than there would be a lot of "hurt" players that would be told to take a seat so the suspended player would have to stay out. The fact that "blood" determines the length of a high sticking penalty is equally as stupid.

George Prax's picture

I like the idea of going after Campbell's son. Not hurting him, but hitting him, chirping, getting under his skin, maybe even fighting. If there was any way to send a message to the way this league is run, that would definitely be a resounding way to show your displeasure with the league. It's honestly ridiculous that he got NOTHING. I wouldn't have been happy with a few games, but NOTHING just sets a dangerous precedent for the March 24th game.

George Prax's picture