Ten Early Off-Season Habs Questions
UPDATE: I love the off-season for the simple fact that the one day I decide to write a blog, the Habs actually end up doing something. The Canadiens signed Andrei Kostitsyn to a one-year contract extension. He'll make the same amount as last year, $3.25M, which is interesting considering many were expecting the Belorussian forward to go to arbitration this year.
While we all wait for the Stanley Cup playoffs to finally end, and before we can get into the nitty gritty of our off-season analyses and features, I thought it would be fun to get the opinions of the readers on a few of the current topics that might be affecting the Montreal Canadiens, as well as some of the topics we might be discussing over the next few months.
Of course, outside of anything directly Habs-related, the talk of the town is the Stanley Cup finals. There are plenty of former Habs brass vying for the cup, some we'd like to see hoist Lord Stanley's mug more than others. Also relevant to our discussion is the re-introduction of Winnipeg into the fold, and what that could mean for the Canadiens, as well as some likely changes to headshots and NHL rules.
So, without wasting any more time, here are 10 questions to answer this afternoon about your Canadiens and the NHL:
- Pierre Gauthier may have signed Hal Gill and Alex(s)ei (Y)Emelin to new deals, but there are still plenty of spots open on the Habs' blueline. Which defensemen return, which will leave to free agency, and will the Canadiens bring in any UFAs on the blueline?
- Pierre Gauthier has less but still considerable work to do up front. Four top six players are signed, with Kostitsyn and Pacioretty likely to come back as RFAs. What do the Canadiens need to do to tweak their top 6 for next season? What about the spots open or opening on the bottom 6?
- Kirk Muller is interviewing for a new coaching job. Who should take his spot next to Jacques Martin next season?
- Other than Carey Price, who had the best season for the Habs? Who had the worst?
- Overall and on a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied were you with the Canadiens' 2010-11 season?
- Does Gauthier make any trades before July 1st?
- Theoretically, if the Habs were able to entice Brad Richards to come to Montreal, who would you trade out and for what in order to make room for him, both on the cap and on the roster?
- Who should the Habs draft in two weeks in the first round with the 17th overall pick?
- As former fans of Maxim Lapierre, and current haterz of the Boston Bruins, what do you think about the whole finger-taunting situation in the finals?
- Finally, we know which team most of you (pretty much everyone other than Jay Pietroniro) wants to see win the series. But which former Habs player or coach do you most want to see hoist the cup? Which do you least want to see win it?
So lay it on us Habs fans (and even non-Habs fans). What do you think?
Expect lots of draft and free agency coverage, as well as deep and detailed off-season analysis from the Habs team in the weeks ahead!