Leafs Acquire Versteeg, Many Deals Heading Into Free Agency, LIVE CHAT!
June 30th traditionally brings one major deal to kick off the free agent proceedings of the next day. After the Montreal Canadiens acquired Scott Gomez last year, the Leafs took their stab at the pre-Free Agency deal by trading with the Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The deal will send forward Kris Versteeg as well as Bill Sweatt in exchange for Viktor Stalberg, Chris DiDomenico and Philippe Paradis, all forwards. Further details on the trade can be found here.
There were plenty more deals and signings throughout the day. Of course, all the details will be discussed thoroughly in tomorrow's Free Agent Frenzy coverage, but here are a few of the more significant transactions of the day:
- Rod Brind'Amour officially retired from hockey, and will take a front office job with the Carolina Hurricanes.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets claimed forward Ethan Moreau off waivers from the Edmonton Oilers.
- The Edmonton Oilers were busy today, trading Patrick O'Sullivan to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for Jim Vandermeer. The Yotes proceeded to buy out O'Sullivan.
- The New Jersey Devils signed David Clarkson to a 3-year contract extension, averaging out to $2.66 million per season.
- The Flyers locked up Michael Leighton to a 2-year, $3.1 million contract.
- The Minnesota Wild signed 3 players, including Guillaume Latendresse for 2 years. The deal will pay him $2.5 million per year.
This and much more will be discussed tomorrow right here on TCL!
We have many special guests, including Michael Aldred of TCL and Checking From Behind, Chris Wassell of the Hockey Program, Kamal Panesar of Habs Addict, Rick from All Habs, Yves on Habs, and many of your favorite TCL bloggers! So join us tomorrow starting at 11:30 for all the fun!!!
See you in a few hours,