Preseason news/notes: Souray breaks (2!) panels of glass, Phaneuf breaks Okposo's face, Laraque breaks himself (again)!
Didn't watch the Habs/Panthers game last night (seeing as I couldn't... you'd think RDS would get the idea considering they sold out a pre-season game against the Panthers, but anyway...) but I caught the highlights and the boys looked good. O'Byrne was feisty and ready to go, Gomez and Cammalari scored and made a statement (and a case towards why either should be captain), Latendresse was hitting everything, and D'Agostini showed why he belongs next to Lapierre and Latendresse. Really enjoyed his goal. Lots of people seemed to shine last night, but unfortunately, it looks like they kind of shut down after 2 periods. I hope that doesn't become a problem this season, as we've had issues with that since the lockout. Gotta learn how to play 60 minutes of hockey, boys!
Here are tonight's line-ups (for BOTH teams), courtesty of RDS:
Curtis Sanford (2 nights in a row for Curtis... over Desjardins too... interesting)
* Paul Mara - Yannick Weber
* Hal Gill - Alex Henry
* Shawn Belle - Mathieu Carle
* Max Paccioretty - Tomas Plekanac - Brian Gionta
* Ryan Russell - Glen Metropolit - Eric Neilson
* Travis Moen - Ben Maxwell - Mike Glumac
* Andrew Conboy - Tom Pyatt - James T. Wyman
Hamrlik is out with an illness, Laraque is out with a minor groin injury (surprise surprise....)
Pascal Leclaire, Robin Lehner
Chris Campoli, Alexandre Picard, Matt Carkner, Jared Cowen, Brian Lee, Geoff Kinrade
Christoph Schubert, Milan Michalek, Daniel Alfredsson, Jesse Winchester, Jason Spezza, Chris Kelly, Chris Neil, Peter Regin, Zack Smith, Jeremy Yablonski, Ilya Zubov, Cody Bass.
THOUGHTS: Pretty much what I expected out of the habs other than Sanford, but interesting stuff from the sens. Looks like we should expect a first line of Michalex, Spezza and Alfie to start the season. If that's the case, Michalek could be one hell of a darkhorse for fantasy hockey pools this season. I'd bet that he's going to break out!
I'll post my thoughts on the game either during the game tonight, or sometime tomorrow. Enjoy it, it's on TV!
Notes from around the league:
- Sheldon Souray broke TWO(2)(Count 'em, TWO (2) ) panes of glass in about 3 minutes of gameplay last night! Good to hear his shoulder seems to be back in working order. His shot was always sick, and I always liked him when he was in Montreal. Look out for this guy and the goalscoring that he can do. And if I were the coach of any other NHL team, I wouldn't be showing my goalies any video of what happened last night!
- Dion Phaneuf had what some would already call the hit of the year. The video was posted on our forums, but it deserves a second look:
Was it dirty? Probably not. Phaneuf didn't really leave his feet, and although 2 players were already covering Okposo I don't think it's against the rules to hit a player while others are around him... but was it necessary? Certainly not! I understand Phaneuf has something to prove... to his team, where he's fallen 3rd on the depth chart when it comes to defenseman since Bouwmeester came into town... and to the guys over at team Canada. Almost no one's talking about this guy making that team and I'm sure it bugs him.
The goalies got into it, people were jumping off the bench, and Okposo was taken out on a stretcher. Should he have hurt Kyle Okposo in a pre-season game against a team he'll face once that year, like he did? Totally unnecessay. Careful Dion, you don't scare people as much as you used to. Wouldn't be surprised to see more people try to go after him now, after that.
- Also from the Flames/Isles game, Theo Fleury played his first game in 6 years, and in full Cinderella mode (minus the drag), Fleury gets the shootout winner at the end of the match. This guy is a good story and certainly someone to look out for in your playoff pools. Don't know if he's a lock to make the Flames, but it would be nice to see what he can do during a regular season-level game.
- Wild sign Petr Sykora to a 1-year deal for peanuts. Don't know why it took so long for a player who contributed to a Stanley Cup winning team so long to find a team to sign with. I mean, I'm not going to act like I know what kind of player he is and what kind of faults he has, but it just strikes me as totally odd. This kind of stuff happens I guess.
That's it for now! Enjoy more preseason action and I'll be back with more thoughts tonight or tomorrow!