The NHL All-Star Joke
This year, the NHL put the perennially boring All-Star game on the defibrillator in an attempt to bring the once interesting contest back from the dead. The result is a weird format in which "captains" get to choose their teams from a pool of players selected by the NHL and the fans.
While I applaud the NHL's effort to change things around, their solution doesn't fix my biggest beef with the All-Star game: the players selection.
The All-Star game should feature the NHL's best player RIGHT NOW. Not players who were good 5 years ago or who are picked by reputation alone.
Here are players who were selected by the NHL this year and who should be replaced by someone more deserving:
- Vincent Lecavalier (No way 3 lightning forwards should be on the ballot... and he's injured!)
- Patrice Bergeron (Horton has been better)
- Ryan Smyth (At least 3 Kings forwards deserve it more)
- Marian Gaborik (He's a star but Callahan and Dubinsky have been carrying this team... Should be there ahead of Gabo who has been injured anyway!)
- Phil Kessel (Grabovski has been better, more consistent)
- Ilya Kovalchuk (Has done nothing for the Devils this year. Elias or hard-working Jason Arnott should be there instead)
- Zach Parise (out long-term... what are they even thinking? And he's had a terrible start!)
- Danny Briere (Giroux should be there instead)
- Brendan Morrow (No Loui Eriksson.. are you kidding me?)
- Jarome Iginla (Has done nothing so far this season... Bourque's spot!)
- Brian Gionta (Hasn't had a good start... No Plekanec?)
- Jay Bouwmeester (No explanation required)
- Dion Phaneuf (Has been awful)
- Dan Hamhuis (What? And Edler isn't there?)
- Mark Streit (Is out for the year or so... and Wiz isn't there... The NHL is on drugs)
- Paul Martin (Kris Letang leads all defensemen in points...)
- Antti Niemi (.878 sv %, 3.73GAA - Carey Price should be there)
- MA Fleury (^ about the same stats - Bobrovsky should be there)
- JS Giguere (please.. he's not an all-star - Mathieu Garon should be there)
The problem with the All-Star game is that instead of rewarding players who are having a good year, the NHL keeps picking the players with the most star power and we get the same game every year, with about the same players.